Yes. Any work in a single family dwelling consisting only of the following are exempt.
R105.2 Work Exempt from Permit. Except for activities which may require a permit pursuant to other laws, by-laws, rules and the specialized codes, a building permit is not required for the following activities: Building:
1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, but not garages, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2)
2. Fences not over seven feet (2.134mm) high.
3. Retaining walls that are not over four feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge, or that retain over four feet of unbalanced fill.
4. Sidewalks and driveways.
5. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
6. Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
7. Swings and other playground equipment.
8. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
9. Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by subsection R311.4.