The Building Department is responsible for regulating all aspects of building and property use within Oak Bluffs. If you are considering any type of construction or land use, the Building Department should be the first stop.
The Building Department is open Mon-Fri 8:00 Am-4:00 PM, closing for lunch from 12:00-1:00. Inspections occur between the hours of 10:00 and 12:00 daily.
Completed permit applications can be emailed to our department, or dropped off at the town offices. Applicant must secure all of the required signatures prior to submission to the building department. If you have questions as to which departments must sign off on your application, reach out the the building department for assistance.
All permit applications require sign off from the Assessor and the Tax Collector. They can be found at the front of our building. Fire Dept, and Board of Health will require a longer review period and the applicant should plan accordingly for this.
Any gas, plumbing and electrical permits can be emailed, or dropped off. There is a drop box outside at the bottom of the ramp.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Building Permit
- Gas Fitting
- Certificate of Occupancy
- Periodic Inspection
- Special Permits
- HIC Program
- 1 and 2 Family Dwelling Permit Application
- CCHDC Agent Authorization Verification form
- Certificate of Inspection Application (PDF)
- Copeland Plan District Review Board Application
- Cottage City Historic District Application
- Demolition Application
- Demolition Delay Application
- Electrical Application (PDF)
- Home Based Business Application (PDF)
- Homeowners Exemption Affadavit
- Massachusetts Permit Application for Gas Fitting (PDF)
- Massachusetts Permit Application for Plumbing (PDF)
- NEW TENT PERMIT_2019
- Permitting Residential Rooftop Solar Collectors (PDF)
- Sign Permit Application
- Solid Fuel Burning Application
- Trench Permit Application 2009 (PDF)
- Workers Comp Affidavit and Debris Disposal Affidavit
- Building Permit Application for buildings other than one or two family dwelling
- Express Permit and WC Affadavit
If Laws, codes or bylaws are preventing you from achieving your building objectives or if you are aggrieved by the Building Inspector's decision, you have an avenue for Appeal to the appropriate body.